Student AND Teacher Motivation Ideas
What ways can the teacher motivate and inspire the student?
1. Choose interesting and exciting repertoire; discuss the value of using music by educational composers. Most students get bored with the same “diet” of repertoire, so be flexible and give them a real variety of things.
- Play pieces for the student that they will be learning. They’ll be much more motivated when they hear a piece played up to tempo!
- Studio contests for memorizing, technique, sight reading, theory, flash cards, etc.
- Enter students in various auditions, festivals, contests, etc.
- Change lesson format frequently.
- Prepare students thoroughly when assigning new pieces --- do everything possible to avoid student’s practicing mistakes for a whole week.
- Give long and short-term goals.
- Practice techniques change with different kinds of pieces – be creative in suggesting how to practice different styles.
- Have various types of theme recitals or a “favorite composer’s recital”
- Progress reports
How can parents motivate and inspire their children?
- Ask student to show them their assignment for the week.
- Ask student to play their favorite piece for them.
- Offer frequent praise and encouragement.
- Provide a good practicing environment.
- Be supportive of the teacher----get students to lessons on time, and make sure they have all necessary materials.
How can teachers motivate themselves?
- Go to music stores and browse often.
- Exercise and take care of yourself.
- Join professional organizations and be a part of a group.
- Subscribe and read various musical journals.
- Find a “mentor” in the organization you belong to.
- Coach new repertoire with a teacher occasionally.
- Involve yourself in technology at some level.
- Design a studio policy that allows you paid vacations, and/or time to attend a professional convention, either state or national level.
all contents © DennisAlexander.com 2017 - All Rights Reserved
Teaching Tips |
Music Links |
Photo Album |
Premier Piano Course |
Video Releases |